This is hands down my favorite “salad” to take to summertime gatherings. It’s fresh, it’s easy, and guys it’s BOMB! I stumbled across a similar recipe on Pinterest and wanted to create something of my own. The traditional ramen salad has mandarin oranges, green onions, almonds, and cabbage slaw. I tweaked it by adding mango, instead of the mandarin oranges (since they don’t keep their shape when stirred). I also added avocado, just because it’s one of my favorite fruits (it’s so weird to call it a fruit). The rest I followed pretty accurately. I was so impressed with the way it turned out that I made it 3 weekends in a row the year I first made it. I think it’s a great one to add to your summertime recipe list!
Let’s hop into it!
1 16 oz bag of coleslaw mix
2 packages of ramen (you won’t use the seasoning packets)
1 cup of shelled edamame (I use frozen)
1 avocado; diced
1 mango; diced
½ cup of sliced almonds
½ cup of sliced green onions
½ cup of vegetable oil
¼ cup of honey
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
¼ teaspoon sesame oil
A pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Smash your uncooked ramen with a rolling pin. We’re looking for smallish pieces here.
- Place your ramen and sliced almonds on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Give the mixture a good stir & put back in the oven for 3 minutes. WATCH CAREFULLY SO IT DOESN’T BURN.
- Set to the side.
- Add all of the salad ingredients except ramen & dressing into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl add all of your dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Pour dressing and ramen onto the salad & serve immediately.
*Note: When I’m taking this to a gathering, I do not add the dressing or ramen until right before it’s time to eat. I sometimes even cut up the avocado at our gathering as well, just so it doesn’t turn brown.
I hope you take this recipe to your next cookout & love it just as much as I do!